This article has been updated with the times and locations of public meetings.
Have opinions on what the state's political maps should look like after they get reconfigured this year?
Colorado’s redistricting commissions will be touring the state in July and August, looking for your input on the congressional and legislative maps they’re redrawing.
Starting on July 9, the commissions will hold public meetings where anyone is welcome to tell the commission how they think the map should be shaped.
Both the legislative and congressional redistricting commissions will have preliminary draft map plans by the time the statewide tour begins, which will give the commissioners and the public a starting point to consider when they provide input.
The last public hearing will be Aug. 28. By then the commissions expect to have the crucial decennial census data that they will have to use to make adjustment to the preliminary map plans and create final maps.
The decennial census data was months delayed this year because of the global coronavirus pandemic. The commissions are using estimate and survey data to draw the preliminary maps, with the understanding that the more precise decennial census data will require adjustments.
The data, combined with the public input the commissions receive over the coming months, will lead each commission to draw the final map and submit them to the Colorado Supreme Court for final review and sign-off by November.
The state constitution has specific requirements for holding public hearings in all areas of the state. Here’s the schedule, which will be updated with exact locations as the commission releases them:
- NEW! 12 p.m. Aug. 3: Powell Middle School cafeteria, 8000 S. Corona Way, Littleton 80122 (Congressional Commission only)
- NEW! 7 p.m. Aug. 3: Koelbel Library, Meeting Rooms A & B, 5955 S. Holly St., Centennial 80121
- 7 p.m., Aug. 4: Golden High School Auditorium, 701 24th St. Golden 80401
- NEW! 2 p.m., Aug. 5: University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, Roaring Fork Dining Hall - Kettle Creek Room, 1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, Colorado Springs 80918 (Congressional Commission only)
- NEW! 11 a.m., Aug. 6: Trinidad State Junior College, Sullivan Center Pioneer Room, 600 Prospect St., Trinidad 81082
- NEW! 7 p.m., Aug. 6: Trinidad State College, Valley Campus, 1011 Main Street, Alamosa 81101
- NEW! 1 p.m., Aug. 7: Durango Public Library, Program Rooms 1 & 2, 1900 E. 3rd Ave. Durango 81301
- NEW! 7 p.m. Aug. 9: Manitou Springs Memorial Hall, City Council chambers, 606 Manitou Ave., Manitou Springs 80829 (Congressional Commission only)
- NEW! 7 p.m., Aug. 10: Izaak Walton Clubhouse, 18 S. Sunset St., Longmont 80501
- NEW! 7 p.m., Aug. 11: University of Colorado Boulder Center for Academic Success and Engagement, Auditoriam and Chancellor's Hall (4th Floor), 1725 Euclid Ave., Boulder 80309
- 12 p.m., Aug. 14: University of Northern Colorado, University Center - Grand Ballroom, 2101 10th Ave., Greeley 80639
- NEW! 7 p.m., Aug. 18: Ranch View Middle School cafeteria, 1731 W. Wildcat Reserve Parkway, Highlands Ranch 80129
- 11 a.m., Aug. 20: Ute Pass Culture Center Main Room, 210 E. Midland, Woodland Park 80863
- NEW! 7 p.m., Aug. 20: Colorado State University Pueblo, Occhiato Student Center Ballroom, 2200 Bonforte Blvd., Pueblo 81001
- NEW! 11 a.m., Aug. 21: Pueblo Community College - Fremont Campus, Student Commons, 51320 W. Highway 50, Cañon City 81212
- 7 p.m., Aug. 21: Buena Vista High School - Gymnasium, 559 S. Railroad St., Buena Vista 81211
- 7 p.m., Aug. 24: Eagle Pointe Recreation Center, Colorado, Yampa and Gunnison rooms, 6060 E. Parkway Dr., Commerce City 80022
- NEW! 7 p.m., Aug. 25: Riverdale Regional Park, Rendezvous Rooms at Waymire Dome, 9755 Henderson Road, Brighton 80601
- NEW! 12 p.m., Aug. 28: Pikes Peak Community College Centennial Campus, The Atrium, 5675 S. Academy Blvd., Colorado Springs 80906
Members of the public are asked to sign up to testify in advance and can do so by visiting https://redistricting.colorado.gov/content/meeting-comment/
Click here for previous coverage of redistricting hearings: